Holiday offer for people on a low income
Disadvantaged people or people on a low income may be entitled to a discount on the price of a holiday or day trip from the Steunpunt Vakantieparticipatie (Holiday Participation Support Point).
There are discounts on day trips (e.g. amusement park, zoo or museum) and on holidays such as
- an individual stay in a hotel, on a camping site, in an apartment, a holiday resort, a holiday house
- a group holiday organised by a social organisation
- an organised holiday (e.g. children's camp).
Each year brochures are published containing day trips and holidays all over Flanders and in Brussels, or sometimes in other places.
Who is entitled to a discount?
Those who, due to financial or other problems, cannot afford a holiday or a day trip are entitled to a discount on the price. They are people who have either a low income, or an OMNIO status, or a higher allowance, etcetera. The European poverty line is taken as the criterion for a holiday or day trip discount.
To which holidays and trips does the discount apply
You can find the holidays and day trips for people on a low income on the Steunpunt Vakantieparticipatie web site.
In order to obtain a discount on a day trip or a holiday, you have to submit an application. You can do so by yourself, but the easy way is to do it through a social organisation of which you are a member (e.g. a public centre for social welfare (OCMW), a Centre for General Welfare Work (CAW), community animation or family guidance). They will prepare the application for you.
Do you prefer to do it yourself? Then follow these steps:
- Download the application form or order it by phone on the free of charge number 1700.
- Print the form and fill it out.
- Send the application form to the Steunpunt Vakantieparticipatie (SVP).
- Supply proof of your family income by enclosing:
- a copy of your tax declaration of the previous year
- a sticker from your health insurance fund if you have the OMNIO status.
- You should notify any change or cancellation to SVP.
If you are making the application yourself, you cannot apply for a group holiday organised by a social organisation. You can only do so if the social organisation does the application for you.