Contact us
    Back to overview Send an e-mail

    Send an e-mail to 1700, the information service for all your government related questions.
    You will receive a copy of this mail.

    Back to overview Chat with us
    Your chat session will start automatically after an operator becomes available.
    Please wait while we determine your queue position.

    Urban planning permission (building permit)

    If you are planning works, the general rule is that you apply for an urban planning permission. You need a permit if you have the intention

    • to build
    • to renovate
    • to demolish
    • to dig
    • to cut down trees
    • to put up fences,...

    For a number of smaller works you do not need an urban planning permission or only have to inform your municipality of the works   

    In both cases, the works may not contravene e.g.:

    • urban development regulations or allotment regulations
    • spatial implementation plans
    • special development plans
    • requirements of allotment permits
    • regulations on monuments and sites,...


    You must apply to the town and country planning service of your municipality for an urban planning permission. 

    On the website you can find out whether you need an urban planning permission.


    Stedenbouwkundige vergunning, melding en vrijstelling vanaf 29/09/2016

    De folder legt uit welke algemene regels en principes van toepassing zijn op het vlak van de stedenbouwkundige vergunnings- en meldingsplicht.


    Departement Omgeving (Department of Environment)
    Afdeling Gebiedsontwikkeling, Omgevingsplanning en -projecten (Spatial development, Environmental Planning and Projects Division)

    Koning Albert II-laan 20 bus 8
    1000 Brussels

    Tel: 02 553 11 71
    Fax: 02 553 83 05