Contact us
    Back to overview Send an e-mail

    Send an e-mail to 1700, the information service for all your government related questions.
    You will receive a copy of this mail.

    Back to overview Chat with us
    Your chat session will start automatically after an operator becomes available.
    Please wait while we determine your queue position.

    Visa and residence documents to reside in Belgium

    If you are not a Belgian national and you want to come and live in Belgium for a long period of time, you may need a visa. A visa is a sticker put in your passport at the consulate, authorizing you to reside in Belgium for a given period of time or to travel through the country.

    There are different types of visa. When you apply for a visa at an embassy or a consulate, you will be told which type of visa you need.



    You want to reside in Belgium for a long period of time or permanently.


    You must lodge your application for a visa in person at the Belgian embassy or consulate of your country of residence.

    If there is no Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence, you should apply at the Belgian embassy or consulate responsible for your country. It is usually located in a neighbouring country.

    You will then have to take part in an interview during which you will be asked about the reason you want to travel to Belgium.

    The procedure you must follow depends on:

    • Your nationality
    • The period of your stay
    • The goal of your stay in Belgium

    Citizens of EEA countries (European Economic Area) can benefit from a simplified procedure. They usually only need an identity card or a passport.

    At, you can find more information about visas. You may also request more information at your local Belgian embassy or consulate.

    If you want to reside in Belgium permanently, you will need other documents after your visa expires. To apply for these documents, you may contact the Immigration Office of the Federal public service Home Affairs.

    You can find more information about the residence documents you need to permanently move to Belgium on

    More information


    Federal Public Service Home Affairs

    Leuvenseweg 1
    1000 Brussels

    02 500 21 11


    Immigration Office

    WTC II
    Antwerpsesteenweg 59 B
    1000 Brussels

    02 793 80 00

    02 274 66 91