Contact us
    Back to overview Send an e-mail

    Send an e-mail to 1700, the information service for all your government related questions.
    You will receive a copy of this mail.

    Back to overview Chat with us
    Your chat session will start automatically after an operator becomes available.
    Please wait while we determine your queue position.

    Recognition of a work disability by the VDAB

    A work disability is a mental, psychological, physical or sensory condition. Those who have a work disability often have difficulties finding a job or doing their job. Examples of work disabilities are autism, hearing impairment, back pain, vocal cord paralysis, myopathy, chronic fatigue syndrome…

    The VDAB (Flemish Service for Employment and Vocational Training) decides whether your condition can be recognised as a work disability or not. If the VDAB recognises your work disability, you may be entitled to specialised guidance and financial compensations to help you find a job or to support you in your job.


    • Ask your doctor for a written declaration (available in Dutch only) describing your condition and the prognosis.
    • Collect other supporting documents which can prove your work disability such as doctor’s certificates, declarations from your school or the Centrum voor Leerlingenbegeleiding (Pupil Guidance Centre), reports from the Vlaams Agentschap voor Personen met een Handicap (Flemish Agency for Persons with Disabilities)…
    • If you are unemployed, contact the VDAB. A consultant will invite you to a meeting. If the consultant considers you should receive a recognition, a recognition application will be filed for you and the VDAB will inform you whether your application has been approved or not.
    • If you are an employee or a self-employed person, download the form ‘Aanvraag recht op tewerkstellingsondersteunende maatregelen’ ('Application for the right to employment support measures‘, only in Dutch). Fill in and sign it before sending it with your supporting documents by mail to the service specialized in work disabilities in your province of residence (link in Dutch). This service will inform you (also by mail) whether you have a right to the measures ticked in your recognition application.

    If you do not agree with VDAB’s decision, you have 45 days to file an appeal for revision at the revision committee. To do this, you must fill in the form ’Gemotiveerd verzoek heroverweging‘ ('Duly substantiated request for revision’, only in Dutch) and hand it over to the service specialised in work disability in your province of residence.

    For any information on the recognition of your work disability and on the employment support measures, you can contact VDAB via the telephone number 0800 30 700 or through the  Werkwinkel (the Workshop, link in Dutch).


    VDAB (Flemish Service for Employment and Vocational Training)

    Keizerslaan 11
    1000 Brussels

    Tel (from Belgium): 0800 30 700 (freephone)
    Tel (from abroad): +32 2 508 38 11

    Website VDAB