If you wish to reside permanently in Belgium and exercise a healthcare profession, you first have to request recognition or have your diploma declared to be equivalent.
Take note: If you wish to temporarily or occasionally exercise a healthcare profession in Belgium, you first have to apply for permission.
This applies to the following professions:
- Doctors: General Practitioners and other specialists
- Dentists: General dentists and specialist dentists
- (Hospital) Pharmacists
- Clinical Psychology
- Clinical Special needs education
- Nurses: first the basic title and then the professional titles and competencies (specialisations) that they can acquire
- Patient care assistants
- Paramedical professions: pharmaceutical-technical assistants, dieticians, occupational therapists, speech therapists, audiologists and hearing care professionals, dental hygienists, orthoptists - optometrists, medical laboratory technologists, medical imaging technicians
The website of the Agency for Care and Health (Agentschap Zorg en Gezondheid) explains what you have to do to request recognition (in Dutch) ((opens in new window)).