In order to obtain a study grant, certain conditions must be met:
You must be a Belgian national. If you are not a Belgian national, you or your parents must have lived in Belgium for some time and must be working, or have already worked in Belgium.
The decision to award you a study grant depends on, amongst other things, your family situation and your income. This includes your salary as well as, for example, any benefits and alimony payments you may be receiving.
- Educational institution and study programme
- You must follow a recognised study programme at an institution that is recognised, financed or funded by the Flemish Community. Some study programmes are not eligible for a study grant. Specific conditions apply to studying abroad.
- Your study programme must lead to a diploma.
- You must still have sufficient study grant credit.
If you think you are eligible for a study grant, please submit your application for a study grant (online)(opens in new window).
If you would like to have more information and guidance, please contact the student services of your educational institution.
If you want the Study Grants Division to start up a file for you and examine whether you qualify for a study grant, you can set up a profile in the digital portal on the website studietoelagen.be(opens in new window):
- you enter your contact details and bank account number;
- you indicate that you want a file (either only the current academic year, or every year as long as you study);
- you can give access to a parent who lives at the same address to follow up the file
Please note: in higher education, the student is the person entitled to a possible study grant and is also responsible for arranging the file. Only the student can set up his profile.
As soon as the file has been started, you will receive an e-mail with the request to check and confirm your data and send additional information if necessary. You’ll be informed as soon as the file is being processed.
If you would like to have more information and guidance, please contact the student services of your educational institution or call the free number 1700.
The amount of the study grant depends on different factors. These factors include, amongst others, your family situation, your study programme and whether you will stay in a dormitory or not. On the website of the Afdeling Studietoelagen (Study Grants Division), you will find more information on the amounts of the study grants(opens in new window) (available in Dutch only).