ready. You are currently on: Work permit – Artist

Work permit – Artist

Under certain conditions, foreign artists can work in Flanders. In these cases, their future employer needs to apply for a work permit for them.

Conditions for working in Flanders

Foreign nationals who come to work in Flanders must first receive permission to work. This obligation applies to everyone apart from a few well-defined categories of foreign workers.

A foreign artist who does not belong to one of these well-defined categories and who therefore needs a work permit can work in Flanders if they meet the conditions below.

The foreign artist (see Article 1,17° of the Government of Flanders Order):

  • receives remuneration for their artistic performances or works.
  • creates, performs or interprets artistic oeuvres in:
    • the audiovisual arts
    • the visual arts
    • music
    • literature
    • spectacles
    • theatre
    • choreography
  • performs or works on assignment of a corporate or legal entity, or a natural person
  • earned at least 38.629 euro in 2023. Calculated and adapted to conform to Article 78 of the Government of Flanders Order.

An artist who is internationally renowned or an assistant whose presence is required for performances, etc., may be eligible for exemption as long as they are not going to stay in Belgium for their activities for more than 21 days per quarter.

Which work permit is required?

As an employer, you apply for permission for your future employee to work. The procedure and the documents that you need will differ depending on the duration of their appointment. Are you applying for permission for the first time? Or are you renewing a permit? This makes a difference too.