Ukrainian seasonal workers

Ukrainian seasonal workers who are currently living and working in Belgium with a work permit, exceptionally get the opportunity to extend this work permit, even when they will stay in Flanders for longer than 90 days in total (in application of art. 75, 2nd clause BVR). More information about extending the work permit for seasonal workers.

However, the validity of the ‘picking card’ (plukkaart) has to be considered. A prolongation of the validity period of the picking card (plukkaart) is currently under discussion.

The Economic Migration Department is presently experiencing a major influx of applications. As a result, processing currently takes nine weeks.
Please take this timing into consideration when submitting your application.

Employer applies for a permit

Maximum 90 days

The employer applies for the work permit for future foreign employees who are coming to work in Belgium for a maximum of 90 days. There is one single procedure, but there may be different conditions for each category.

If the application is approved, the employee is granted a work permit and the employer is granted an employment permit.

  • The employee is still not in Belgium: the original work permit is sent to the municipality where the employer is based. The employer is to pick up the work permit and send it to the employee in the foreign country. The employee should then present the work permit to the Belgian embassy in their country to attain an entry visa. After this, the employee can travel to Belgium and report to a Belgian municipality.
  • The employee is in Belgium: the original work permit is sent to the municipality where the employee lives, and the employee picks it up.
  • If the work that the foreign national will perform falls into the ‘other’ category, that employee may not yet be present in Belgium at the time of the first application.
  • The employee in possession of the work permit can only work for the employer who applied for authorisation.

90/180 days with a Schengen visa

The employer is required to apply for the work permit for a future foreign employee who is coming to Belgium to work for 90/180 days with a Schengen visa. This permit is only to be used in conjunction with the Schengen visa.

During the validity of their Schengen visa (valid for 180 days), the foreign employee will be permitted to stay in the Flemish region and perform work duties for a maximum of 90 days (see Article 2, §1, 1°).

These 90 days of work and residence are completely ‘free to choose’ across the entire 180-day validity period of the Schengen visa. They may therefore be individual days, one completely continuous period, or several periods of individual or consecutive days.

The employee can only work for the employer who was granted employment authorisation before.

Calculator of travel days remaining(opens in new window) under a Schengen short-stay visa.

Collect the necessary details

  • Proof of identity for the employee
    • The employee is not in Belgium at the time of the application:
      • foreign identity card or personal-detail page of international passport.
    • The employee is in Belgium at the time of the application:
      • foreign identity card or personal-detail page of international passport
      • Belgian residency permit which demonstrates legal residence in Belgium.
  • The employer’s proof of identity, or that of a proxy holder.
  • An employment contract (see Titles I and III of the Law of 3 July 1978 (in Dutch)(opens in new window) regarding employment contracts) that is signed and dated by both parties. (Depending on the employee’s category of work, it’s possible that a different document may be requested instead of an employment contract further details are available on this page.

Supplementary materials to include – per category

Depending on the categories to which the employee belongs, the employer needs to collect the following documents. This may result in deviations from the summary above.

Submit your application via email

The employer starts the procedure, collects the required documents and applies for the work permit and employment permit via email.


Would you like to renew the work permit and the employment permit? Submit your application to the Economic Migration Department at least 2 months prior to the expiry date of your current permit. Include the documents listed below in your application dossier. The documents do not need to be originals copies will suffice.

  • A completed Application for authorisation to work for a fixed term with a work permit and employment permit form
  • The employee’s Belgian residence permit
  • Proof of identity of the employer or their proxy
  • The employee’s foreign identity card or the personal-detail page of their international passport
  • The employment contract if it is no longer the same as the one for the earlier period of employment
  • Payslips or wage statements from the period covered by the work permit, or an individual account if the employer worked for a full calendar year
  • If the employee worked on secondment:
    • Proof of enrolment in the Limosa Registry(opens in new window)
    • 1 of the following documents:
      • A declaration that the social security legislation of the employee’s country remains in effect during the time they are working in Belgium
      • If there is no international agreement about social security, a declaration from the National Office for Social Security showing that the employee is not subject to the Belgian system for employees, because the conditions for this have not been fulfilled.
    • An attest signed by the (Belgian) employer that includes:
      • the duration of the secondment
      • work and wage conditions during the secondment

Apply for the renewal of the work permit via email.

Frequently asked questions

Read this page in: