ready. You are currently on: Integrated environment permit for town planning activities

Integrated environment permit for town planning activities

If you carry out works in the Flemish Region, the general rule is that you must apply for a permit. You are required to have a permit if you want to

  • build
  • renovate
  • demolish
  • dig
  • fell trees
  • install advertising signs and fences
  • etc.


Whether your building project requires an integrated environment permit depends on the local regulations and plans. A notification is sufficient for some projects. Therefore, always check with the municipality first.

You always require an integrated environment permit to build a new dwelling or building in the Flemish Region. Other works to and around the dwelling may require a permit or notification or enjoy an exemption.

Attention: Works must not be in breach of

  • town planning or subdivision regulations
  • spatial implementation plans
  • special zoning plans
  • regulations of subdivision permits
  • regulations on monuments and landscapes
  • etc.


Apply for the integrated environment permit via the online Environment and Spatial Planning Desk (‘Omgevingsloket’). If you work with an architect, they can draw up the application for you.

Permits for works in municipalities with linguistic facilities must still be submitted on paper.

The municipality checks the admissibility and completeness of the permit application within thirty days.


Flemish Spatial Planning Code