Professional card for foreigners
If you want to start a self-employed activity in Belgium as a foreign national, you must hold a professional card. The professional card is the document authorising you to exercise a self-employed activity. Certain categories of foreigners are exempted from the obligation to hold a professional card.
The professional card is required for anybody who wants to start a self-employed activity and who:
- does not have the Belgian nationality
- does not have the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Economic Area (the 28 Member States of the European Union and Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein);
- does not have the Swiss nationality
- is not exempted from this formality for other reasons
If you want to obtain, modify, renew or replace a professional card, you must submit an application at:
- the Belgian diplomatic or consular post of your country of residence for persons residing abroad
- a recognized Business one-stop-shop (link in Dutch)
This last option requires the prior agreement from the competent regional minister and the minister of the Interior. You must submit such a duly substantiated application to the competent minister with all supporting documents proving your situation.