Contact us
    Back to overview Send an e-mail

    Send an e-mail to 1700, the information service for all your government related questions.
    You will receive a copy of this mail.

    Back to overview Chat with us
    Your chat session will start automatically after an operator becomes available.
    Please wait while we determine your queue position.

    Professional card for foreigners

    If you want to start a self-employed activity in Belgium as a foreign national, you must hold a professional card. The professional card is the document authorising you to exercise a self-employed activity. Certain categories of foreigners are exempted from the obligation to hold a professional card.


    The professional card is required for anybody who wants to start a self-employed activity and who:

    • does not have the Belgian nationality
    • does not have the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Economic Area (the 28 Member States of the European Union and Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein);
    • does not have the Swiss nationality
    • is not exempted from this formality for other reasons


    If you want to obtain, modify, renew or replace a professional card, you must submit an application at:

    This last option requires the prior agreement from the competent regional minister and the minister of the Interior. You must submit such a duly substantiated application to the competent minister with all supporting documents proving your situation.