To be recognised as a technician in air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles, you must fulfil:
- general recognition conditions that apply to all the recognitions relating to the environment:
- in the 3 years that precede the application for the Flemish recognition certificate, the applicant has not been convicted of a criminal offence in a member state of the European Economic Area, for infringements of the environmental legislation concerning the use of the recognition
- in the 2 years that precede the application for the Flemish recognition certificate, no recognition of the applicant with the same subject was revoked due to infringement of the obligations associated with that recognition.
- special recognition conditions:
- be a natural person
- hold a European certificate as a technician in air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles.
You already hold a European certificate as a technician for air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles
If you already hold a European certificate as a technician for air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles, you can also obtain the Flemish recognition certificate. However, you must register with the Flemish administration before starting to work in the Flemish Region. This obligation applies to technicians who:
- have obtained a European certificate outside the Flemish Region
- have obtained a European certificate in the Flemish Region, but do not yet have a Flemish recognition certificate.
Validity period and obligations
The recognition is valid for an indefinite period. As a recognised technician, you must meet the following obligations, among others, to retain recognition:
- hold insurance for third party liability, including professional liability, in connection with the use of the recognition
- respect the applicable environmental legislation during the recovery of fluorinated greenhouse gases from air conditioning systems in motor vehicles
- do everything possible to prevent leakage of fluorinated greenhouse gases or to restrict it to a minimum
- do everything necessary for the recycling, regeneration or destruction of fluorinated greenhouse gases if a cylinder with that greenhouse gas has to be removed
- report any changes in the identification details (such as address, e-mail address) immediately via firstname.lastname@example.org (opent in uw e-mail applicatie)
More information on the obligations of recognised technicians (in het Nederlands) ((opent in nieuw venster)) can be found on the Department of Environment and Spatial Development website.
You do not yet have a European certificate as a technician for air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles
Anyone wishing to work as a technician for air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles in the Flemish Region and who does not yet hold a European certificate must follow a training course and take an examination at a recognised training centre.
You can find the recognised training centres in the overview lists of training centres (in het Nederlands) ((opent in nieuw venster)) (select ‘opleidingscentra technici klimaatregelingsapparatuur in motorvoertuigen’ in the search module).
Those who pass the examination receive a European certificate and a Flemish recognition certificate.
You already have a European certificate as a technician for air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles
If you have obtained the European certificate but not yet the Flemish recognition, you must register via the online recognition desk of the Department of Environment and Spatial Development ((opent in nieuw venster)) (click on ‘Ga naar het erkenningenloket’; log in with eID).
If you do not have a Belgian eID, you should send your notification by registered letter to Departement Omgeving, Koning Albert II-laan 20/bus 8, 1000 Brussel, to the attention of Team Erkenningen, afdeling GOP.
Attach the following information to your notification:
- a copy of the European certificate in Dutch, French, German or English
- the identification details of the technician:
- the first and last name
- the national registration number or, if the technician does not have a national registration number, the date and place of birth, the home address and the date from which the technician has resided at that address
- the telephone number and the e-mail address of the technician
- the name and the company registration number of the company where the technician works. If the company does not have a company registration number, you should submit the address of the registered office and the VAT number of the company.
The recognition as a technician for air conditioning systems in specified motor vehicles is free of charge.
Flemish regulation on environmental recognitions (VLAREL)