To be recognised as an electrical switchgear technician, you must fulfil:
- general recognition conditions that apply to all the recognitions relating to the environment:
- in the 3 years that precede the application for the Flemish recognition certificate, the applicant has not been convicted of a criminal offence in a member state of the European Economic Area, for infringements of the environmental legislation concerning the use of the recognition
- in the 2 years that precede the application for the Flemish recognition certificate, no recognition of the applicant with the same subject was revoked due to infringement of the obligations associated with that recognition.
- and the following special recognition conditions:
- be a natural person
- hold a European certificate as an electrical switchgear technician.
You already have a European certificate as an electrical switchgear technician
If you already have a European certificate as an electrical switchgear technician, you can also obtain the Flemish recognition certificate. However, you must register with the Flemish administration before starting to work in the Flemish Region. This obligation applies to technicians who:
- have obtained a European certificate outside the Flemish Region
- have obtained a European certificate in the Flemish Region, but do not yet have a Flemish recognition certificate.
Validity period and obligations
The Flemish recognition certificate is valid for an indefinite period. As a recognised technician, you must meet the following obligations to retain recognition:
- hold insurance for third party liability, including professional liability, in connection with the use of the recognition
- present, on request, the material that will be used to perform the tasks
- do everything possible to prevent leakage of fluorinated greenhouse gases
- do everything necessary for the recycling, regeneration or destruction of fluorinated greenhouse gases if a cylinder with that greenhouse gas has to be removed
- report any changes in the identification details (such as address, e-mail address) immediately via firstname.lastname@example.org(opens in your email application)
- pay the annual fee (in Dutch) for the supervision of your recognition. The first payment is to be made in the year following the year in which you obtained the Flemish recognition certificate. Failure to pay the annual fee will lead to automatic suspension of the recognition following a formal notice of default. If the fee is still not paid within 30 days of the suspension, the recognition will automatically lapse.
More information on the obligations for electrical switchgear technicians (in Dutch) can be found on the Department of Environment and Spatial Development website.
You do not yet have a European certificate as an electrical switchgear technician
Anyone wishing to work as an electrical switchgear technician in the Flemish Region and who does not yet hold a certificate must take an examination at a recognised training centre.
Those who pass the examination receive a European certificate and a Flemish recognition certificate.
You already hold a European certificate as an electrical switchgear technician
If you have obtained the European certificate but not yet the Flemish recognition, you must register via the online recognition desk of the Department of Environment and Spatial Development(opens in new window) (click on ‘Ga naar het erkenningenloket’; log in with eID)
If you do not have a Belgian eID, you should send your notification by registered letter to Departement Omgeving, Koning Albert II-laan 20/bus 8, 1000 Brussel, to the attention of Team Erkenningen, afdeling GOP.
Attach the following information to your notification:
- a copy of the European certificate in Dutch, French, German or English
- the identification details of the technician:
- the first and last name
- the national registration number or, if the technician does not have a national registration number, the date and place of birth, the home address and the date from which the technician has resided at that address
- the telephone number and the e-mail address of the technician
- the name and the company registration number of the company where the technician works. If the company does not have a company registration number, you should submit the address of the registered office and the VAT number of the company.
As an electrical switchgear technician, you must pay an annual fee (in Dutch) for the supervision of your recognition. You will receive an invoice for this by post in your name at your official address at the start of the calendar year.
- For 2022 the annual fee is 30 euro.
- That amount is index-adjusted every year.
Flemish regulation on environmental recognitions (VLAREL)