To be recognised as an SR expert, you must fulfil:
- general recognition conditions ((opent in nieuw venster)) that apply to all recognitions relating to the environment
- in the 3 years that precede the application for the Flemish recognition certificate, the applicant has not been convicted of a criminal offence in a member state of the European Economic Area, for infringements of the environmental legislation concerning the use of the recognition.
- in the 2 years that precede the application for the Flemish recognition certificate, no recognition with the same object was revoked due to infringement of the obligations associated with that recognition.
- special recognition conditions:
- be a natural person
- have obtained at least a master’s or equivalent degree
- have at least 3 years’ practical experience in contracts in the field of the recognition, during the 5 years preceding the application for recognition
- have obtained at least a bachelor’s or equivalent degree
- have at least 5 years’ practical experience in contracts in the field of the recognition, during the 7 years preceding the application for recognition
- successfully completed a training course in which the subjects listed in annex 9 of the VLAREL (in het Nederlands) ((opent in nieuw venster)) are covered.
Validity period and obligations
The recognition is valid for an indefinite period. As a recognised SR expert, you must meet the following obligations among others to retain your recognition:
- hold insurance for third party liability, including professional liability, in connection with the use of the recognition
- report every change of identification data (such as address, e-mail address) immediately via email@example.com (opent in uw e-mail applicatie)
- pay the annual fee (in het Nederlands) for the supervision of the recognition. The first payment is to be made in the year following the year in which you obtained the Flemish recognition certificate. Failure to pay the annual fee will lead to automatic suspension of the recognition following a formal notice of default. If the fee is still not paid within 30 days of the suspension, the recognition will automatically lapse.
More info on the obligations for recognised SR experts (in het Nederlands) ((opent in nieuw venster)) can be found on the Department of Environment and Spatial Development website.
Request your recognition from the Flemish administration.
- Download the application form (in het Nederlands) ((opent in nieuw venster)) from the Department of Environment and Spatial Development website and fill it in. You can quickly compile your application file by using the ‘SR: training and experience’ form.
- Transfer the one-off fee to Account No. BE40 3751 1110 2263 stating ‘OMG-A-VR + your first name and last name.
- Submit the necessary documents and proof of payment to the Flemish administration.
- If you have a Belgian eID: submit your application and receipt via the online recognition desk of the Department of Environment and Spatial Development ((opent in nieuw venster)) (click on “Ga naar het erkenningenloket”; log in with eID).
- If you do not have a Belgian eID, you should submit your application by registered letter to Departement Omgeving, Koning Albert II-laan 20/bus 8, 1000 Brussel, to the attention of Team Erkenningen, Afdeling GOP.
The competent unit will handle your request. This could be followed by a hearing. The leading official of the Department of Environment and Spatial Development reaches a decision within 90 days, starting from the day after the submission of the complete application file.
You must pay the one-off fee (in het Nederlands) ((opent in nieuw venster)) for the application for recognition as an SR expert.
- For 2021, the one-off fee is 586 euros.
- For an application in 2022, the one-off fee is 606 euros.
- The one-off fee is index-adjusted every year.
As a recognised SR expert, you must pay the annual fee (in het Nederlands) for the supervision of the recognition. You will receive an invoice for this by post at the start of the calendar year in your name at your official address.
- For 2022 the annual fee amounts to 121 euros.
- That amount is index-adjusted every year.
Flemish regulation on environmental recognitions (VLAREL).