Are you moving to Flanders? Like any other newcomer, you are entitled to a civic integration pathway organised by the Flemish Authorities. This civic integration features Dutch-language courses, support in looking for a job and an introduction to what's on in Flanders culturewise.
- Required visa and residence documents to reside in BelgiumIf you are not a Belgian national and you want to come and live in Belgium for a long period of time, you may need a visa. A visa is a sticker the consulate puts in your passport authorizing you to reside in Belgium for a given period of time or to travel through the country. Different sorts of visas exist. When you apply for a visa at an embassy or a consulate, you will be told which sort of visa you need.
- Flemish Rent subsidyIf you have a low income and move from a poor, non-adapted house to a decent, adapted house which you rent on the private rental market or from a social letting agency, you qualify for a contribution towards the rent or a rent subsidy. You only qualify if you have recently moved or are planning to move within the short term. This contribution towards the rent is composed of two parts. a monthly rent subsidy and a one-off installation premium.
- Flemish rent premium for prospective tenants of a social houseLow-income families who have been waiting four years or more for social housing and live in a private rental house can qualify for a monthly rent premium. If you already receive a rent subsidy, and you also qualify for a rent premium, then your rent subsidy will end and you will receive a rent premium instead.
- Home improvement grantWould you like to carry out improvement works to your home? Then maybe you qualify for the Flemish home improvement grant. The aim of the Flemish home improvement grant is to provide financial help to anyone who wants to improve or extend their house because it no longer meets the standards.
- Home adaptation grantIs your home no longer adapted to the physical ailments of old age? Then maybe you qualify for the Flemish home adaptation grant. The aim of the Flemish home adaptation grant is to provide financial help to over-65s who want to adapt their home to the physical needs of old age, for instance by placing technical aids or making renovations to increase accessibility.
- Energy performance certificate required for rental or sale of an habitationIf you want to rent or sell an appartment, a studio and most other housing units, you must hold a energy performance certificate (EPC). The EPC mentions the energy rating of an habitation and informs the buyer or tenant on how to make the home more energy-efficient. The EPC must be mentioned on all rental or sale advertisements in order to inform potential buyers or tenants about the energy efficiency of the housing unit. An EPC remains valid for 10 years.
- Guaranteed Housing InsuranceThe Guaranteed Housing Insurance is a free insurance. If you have been an employee for more than one year, you can take out this insurance for ten years when you take out a mortgage to build, buy or renovate a house. The insurance premium will be paid by the Government of Flanders. If you involuntarily become unemployed or incapable of work during this period, you may receive a contribution towards the repayment of your mortgage.
- Soil certificateA “soil certificate” (bodemattest) is a form that indicates whether a piece of land is polluted or not. It is delivered by the Openbare Vlaamse Afvalstoffenmaatschappij (OVAM) (Public Waste Agency of Flanders). You are required to ask a soil certificate when the owner of a piece of land changes....